Interesting job opportunity that came across my inboxChief Technology Officer Job Description
THE COMPANYIn January 2012, veterans of The Onion, MoveOn, and Facebook are joining together to launch a viral media startup that will spread important, compelling ideas to hundreds of millions of people online and make being a progressive fun again. Our first round of funding is complete – now we need a great CTO to hit the ground running.
THE POSITION: CHIEF TECHNOLOGY OFFICERWe’re looking for a brilliant technologist with vision, great coding chops, strong people and recruitment skills, and the ability to work at light speed.
You’ll be part of a small core leadership team bringing a new kind of mission-driven, highly scalable media site into the world from scratch. You will determine how to build, integrate and scale technology for the company, starting in the “dollars are precious” pre-A-round era. And you’ll collaborate on product and business strategy with other C-level leaders on the team.
Among your responsibilities:· Determine the core technologies and platforms for the site
· Manage organization structure and sequencing of team· Make build/buy decisions
· Manage technology budget· Help shape product
Bottom line, we believe that the media company of the future will be as much a tech company as an editorial process. We’re looking for a partner to realize that vision.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATEIf this describes you, let’s talk:
· You’re eager to dive in and help build the first iteration of the product.· You’ve built and scaled successful web products before
· You have experience across a variety of languages and data stores, and in building Agile teams · You have Interest or experience in machine learning and analytics
· You love recruiting, managing, and building a great team – but you’re also not afraid to get your hands dirty and dive into the code yourself. · You’re game to take as much off of the shelf as possible to scale the business quickly, build where it makes sense, and understand the trade-offs for each decision.
· You’re a clear, crisp communicator and decider. · You’re creative, love a good challenge, and have a “we can build anything” mentality.
· You’ve got a good sense of humor – even (especially!) when the going gets tough. · You want to build a product that users love and that makes a dent in the universe.
LOCATION:Anywhere in the U.S. — we run a virtual office, and collaborate online. (If that stresses you out, apply anyway. We’re very good at replicating the best parts of office life in a virtual setting.)
COMPENSATION:Competitive, with equity.
START DATE:January, but flexible. No later than Feb 1, 2012.
TO APPLY:Send a cover letter and a resume to ctojob[at]elipariser[dot]com. We’re an equal opportunity employer.